It’s important to us that you can feel confident that your personal information is safe and being looked after. I appreciate the trust you place in me and in return I respect your privacy and am committed to protecting your personal information.
Here I set out clearly how I collect, use, disclose and manage your personal information.
By asking me, as an MP, to act on your behalf you agree to the collection, use, disclosure and management of your personal information as set out in this policy. This is in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Data Protection Act (2018).
How do I collect your personal information?
I may collect certain personal information from you when you;
- contact my staff in the constituency or Westminster offices;
- contact a local District or County Councillor and agree to them contacting me or my staff on your behalf;
- contact me or my staff directly for any reason, including enquiring about Parliamentary and other activities that I may undertake as Member of Parliament and your constituency MP.
Why do I need your personal data?
I need to collect and use your personal information to:
- provide you with the services and support you have requested from me;
- respond to your enquiries and requests for assistance, advice or opinion;
- create and maintain your case files, and ensure that I understand the issue(s) you have raised;
- verify your identity when you contact us for assistance, advice or opinion;
- comply with my legal obligations.
The lawful basis for collecting and using your personal information will depend on the specific reason (lawful basis) I have collected it for, including:
- where I have your consent to do so (for example, when you contact me and ask for help or information, or you complete a consent form);
- where it is necessary for the performance of my public task as Member of Parliament (for example, to contact an organisation on your behalf which you have contacted me about)
What personal information do I collect?
When you contact me I will collect:
- your name and contact details including your home address, contact telephone number and email address;
- details about the issue you would like me to raise on your behalf;
- documentation you want me to consider in order to help me understand the issue you have raised.
I may also collect personal information to enable me to:
- provide proof that I have your explicit consent to act on your behalf or to act, through you, on behalf of a third party who has given you consent to represent them.
If you provide special category data to me in order for me to act on your behalf I will only process special categories of data where I have a lawful basis to do so. This will differ dependent on the circumstances but might include processing where I have your explicit consent to use the data or in accordance with Schedule 1 clauses 23 and 24 of the Data Protection Act (2018). Special category data means information about: your race and ethnic origin, your politics, religion, trade union membership, genetics, biometrics (where used for ID purposes), health, sex life and sexual orientation.
When I might need to share your information
In certain circumstances, and only if you agree, I may share your personal information with third parties. This includes:
- support organisations such as social services, charities or healthcare organisations;
- local and central government departments in order to resolve the issue you have raised with me;
- organisation(s) with whom you have an issue or which can be instrumental in addressing your issue.
How will your data be stored? For how long?
I’ll only store your personal data for as long as is necessary to carry out my duties as an MP and to enable me to act on your behalf. Your data will be retained in line with statutory and regulatory obligations, on a secure system.
How do I safeguard your personal information?
I strive to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of the personal information I collect. I do my very best to ensure the security of personal information held by me to protect your information from unauthorised access, use, modification, destruction or disclosure.
Access to personal information is restricted to authorised employees and volunteers who are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by me. I regularly review and update my security measures considering current technologies.
Do I use and disclose your personal information for marketing purposes?
I will not use or disclose your personal information for marketing purposes.
How can you access or correct your personal information or make a privacy or Data Protection complaint?
You have the right to ask for access to, correction of or erasure of personal information that I hold about you. However, I may limit your access if it would disclose personal information about another person, or where it would disclose commercially sensitive information. You also have the right to make a complaint if you believe that I have not complied with privacy laws in relation to your information.
To obtain access, correct your information, request an erasure, make a complaint or enquire about your rights, please contact us in writing using the contact details below. I will acknowledge any complaints in writing as soon as I can and respond to any complaints or enquiries within 30 days. If you are also dissatisfied with our response you can contact the Information Commissioner office.
For personal information enquiries:
Attention: Privacy officer
Phone: 01692 403752
Address: Office of Rt Hon Norman Lamb MP, Unit 4, The Garden Centre, Nursery Drive, North Walsham, NR28 0DR